Posted on 13 04 2021

3 Types of Insulation You Should Have In Your Home

There are costly pitfalls to not insulating your home. Higher energy bills, doctor visits due to respiratory problems brought on by damp can have debilitating impacts on families.

Yet, these problems can easily be avoided if homes are properly insulated. In New Zealand, the majority of homes built before 1978 don’t have insulation and are subjected to these issues. Heat pumps, dehumidifiers, and other appliances can provide some support. However, insulation directly addresses these issues.

But what kind of insulation should you get?


Ceiling Insulation

When it comes to insulating your home, the first step should be insulating your ceiling.

In the winter, heat travels up and escapes through the roof cavity. In the summer, the reverse will happen, and your home will overheat. No matter the season, this movement of heat can have lasting, damaging impacts on your home.

Ceiling insulation, or ‘roof insulation,’ will act as a barrier between the heat and your roof cavity. The insulation will prevent heat from escaping during the winter season and will also stop it from entering during the summer.

There are three different types of ceiling insulation:

  • Segments: This insulation comes in rectangular sheets that are installed between the ceiling joists.
  • Blanket: Blanket insulation, not surprisingly, is a blanket form of insulation that is installed over the joists
  • Loose-fill: Using a specialised machine, this insulation is blown into the ceiling cavity and is recommended for those difficult to reach cavities.

However, the movement of heat isn’t the only thing you have to worry about with your ceiling cavity. When it comes to rain, your ceiling is directly impacted. It is the most likely place in your property to have water build-up or damage. Luckily, ceiling insulation will also protect your home from these kinds of moisture problems.


Underfloor Insulation

If your home has an underfloor sub-cavity, then it is likely that it is causing damp within your property.

Similar to a ceiling cavity, heat can move in and out depending on the season. Cracks in your floorboards allow heat to escape or enter your property. Thick rugs or carpets might feel like a quick, easy fix, but in fact, they won’t stand a chance against moisture issues and could even become a source of some serious mould.

Your best option for underfloor insulation:

  • Bulk insulation: Made from either polyester, natural wool, rock wool, or expandable polystyrene, bulk insulation traps heat in the winter and stops it from entering in the summer.

Wall Insulation

To prevent the most significant amount of heat loss, wall insulation is your best bet. While it’s easier to insulate a new build’s walls, it’s still possible to add insulation to an existing home with little disruption.

Wall insulation is installed on the exterior walls of the home, keeping the interior intact and in good condition. Think of this type of insulation like a blanket, wrapping around your home, keeping it warm. But just like with other insulation, it will also keep your home cool in the summer by ensuring warm air doesn’t re-enter your property.

There are two options for wall insulation:

  • Thermal wall pads/Thermal Wall Blanket: This light-weight, flexible insulation comes in rectangular sheets or a blanket. It will thermally insulate exterior walls or be self-supporting within walls.
  • Wall Injected Foam: Like loose-fill in ceiling cavities, wall injected foam is injected by a specialised machine. It is designed for enclosed cavities, such as stud walls and contains three antifungal additives, and is tested for both termites and mould resistance.


Insulation can warm your home from top to toe. However, figuring out what kind and where to put your insulation can be a daunting task. The team of experts at Greenside can help you assess which solution is best for your home.


Are You Eligible for a Subsidy?

Depending on your area, you may be eligible to receive an insulation subsidy of 90% or more.

Search for your address with EECA’s Map Tool and if you’re in a zone that is labelled 8, 9, or 10 you should be eligible. Search your address or contact us to find out if you’re eligible.

The GreenSide team are experts at helping our customers choose the right heat pump for their home.

If you would like to discuss the best option for you, get in contact.


As an Owner-Occupier You May Be Eligible for a Warmer Kiwi Homes Subsidy