Posted on 06 10 2023
Beat the heat: Heat pump tips for summer
With summer quickly approaching, it's time to prepare your home for the heat. Many homes rely on their trusty heat pumps to keep them warm during the colder months, but did you know they are also perfect for summer?
Before you start cranking up the air conditioning, ensuring that your heat pump is in top-notch condition is crucial. This month's blog covers everything you need to know about keeping your home cool and comfortable during the summer months. From temperature and airflow settings to highlighting the benefits of regular servicing and available subsidies to make your home truly summer-ready.
Why Service Your Heat Pump Before Summer?
Just like a car, your heat pump needs regular servicing. After pumping out the heat all winter, it needs care to transition effectively into cooling mode. Dust and debris can accumulate in the system, affecting its performance. Regular servicing removes this buildup and identifies potential issues, ensuring your heat pump operates at its best when you need it most.
Servicing your heat pump also extends its lifespan. Addressing wear and tear, lubricating moving parts, and replacing worn components ensures your unit operates efficiently for years to come.
Top Summer Heat Pump Tips
- Temperature: Aim for a comfortable yet efficient temperature, typically around 20-24 degrees Celsius. Setting the temperature lower will not cool your home any quicker and will use much more power.
- Consistency: Gradual temperature adjustments are the way to go. Make small changes to the temperature until you reach your desired comfort level.
- Timing: Use the timer feature on your heat pump to cool your home before you return from work or before bedtime, saving energy during the day.
- Humidity: Sometimes, the heat isn't the problem; it's all of the moisture in the air. If you have a dehumidifier option on your heat pump, try turning this on for an hour or so.
- Use the Fan Wisely: Opt for the "auto" or "low" fan speed setting in the summer. This distributes cool air evenly and minimizes energy usage.
Cooling your home works in the same way as heating it does, but in reverse! Keep all the cool air from your heat pump in by closing the windows, doors and curtains. Remember, just like heat pumps, insulation doesn't just keep your home warmer during the winter; it also keeps it cooler during the summer too.
Is your home correctly insulated or in need of a heat pump? The Warmer Kiwi Homes initiative could cover 80% - 100% of the costs. Click here to see if you are eligible for the Warmer Kiwi Homes grant.
In conclusion, preparing your heat pump for summer is vital for a comfortable home during the hottest months. Servicing your unit enhances cooling efficiency and extends its lifespan.
At GreenSide Energy Solutions, we are here to assist you in accessing subsidies and helping to create a healthier, drier and energy-efficient home for you and your family.