Posted on 14 03 2022

Rental solutions and how we can help you

From 1 July 2024, all rental homes must comply with the healthy homes standards, regardless of when they were tenanted. The standards set out the minimum requirements that rental properties must comply with across five areas: 

  1. Insulation
  2. Heating
  3. Ventilation
  4. Draught Stopping
  5. Moisture Ingress and Drainage

The Residential Tenancies Act allows landlords to carry out work themselves where a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP), Licensed Electrical Worker (LEW) or Licensed Gas Worker (LGW) is not required. 

Landlords are advised to employ a reputable professional where they have any doubts about achieving the required quality of work themselves, or where they are uncertain about whether exemptions apply. In most cases, electrical work needed to install an extractor fan must be performed by a licensed electrician. Replacing or installing new windows or doors may require building consent.

If your property needs work to bring it up to standard and you’re not qualified or confident to do it yourself, you’ll need to choose a provider to do it for you. Here are our top tips for choosing a provider to perform safe and compliant installations in your rental property. 


Your installer should assess your home thoroughly and discuss product options, warranties, timeframes, areas to be insulated, and how the work will be carried out. Ensure you receive a firm quote and ask for assurance that the work will meet the NZ Standards NZS4246-2016.


Although you don’t need an electrician to install a heat pump, you must have a certified electrician or licensed electrical worker to connect the unit to the power supply. We recommend you have a qualified and experienced electrician carry out the full installation. On completion, you should receive an electrical certificate of compliance and an electrical safety certificate. 


As extractor fans are powered by electricity, you will need an electrician to install them. Fans must meet either the size or performance requirements of the ventilation standard. 

Ensure your provider is familiar with the requirements. They should assess your property before advising on the appropriate fan based on the length of ducting and bends required (as ducting will reduce the fan’s performance). 

Draught stopping

As a rule of thumb, gaps or holes with a width greater than 3mm in or around the walls, ceilings, windows, doors, and floors that let air into or out of the home will usually require blocking to prevent unreasonable draughts. If the edge of a $2 coin can fit in the gap, then the gap needs to be sealed.

You may prefer to do this work yourself or have a competent handyperson do it for you. However, if any windows or doors need replacing, the work should be carried out by a Licensed Building Practitioner.

Moisture ingress and drainage

Meeting this standard may involve clearing drains or installing new ones, repairing or replacing gutters and downpipes, and installing a ground moisture barrier in enclosed subfloor spaces.

We recommend having drainage and gutter/downpipe installations carried out by a qualified plumber or drainlayer. 

Ground moisture barriers installed after 1 July 2019 must either meet the specifications in NZS 4246:2016 or achieve a vapour flow resistance of at least 50 MNs/g and be installed by an appropriate professional installer.

Greenside Energy Solutions is a preferred provider for the Energy Efficient Conservation Authority, Auckland Council and various District Health Boards. Having installed thousands of energy efficient measures into rental properties across New Zealand, we fully appreciate what it takes to bring an underperforming property up to the required standard.

Our experienced and friendly team of assessors and installers are all employed in-house and can assess your property, provide a detailed report, and specify solutions to help you get your property up to standard in each area.

This saves time for property managers and landlords and minimises disruption to your tenants by reducing the number of contractor visits. Get in touch to book your Healthy Homes Assessment.


As an Owner-Occupier You May Be Eligible for a Warmer Kiwi Homes Subsidy